Monday, January 25, 2010

Are You Out of Your Mind?

Yesterday, our pastor preached an excellent sermon with the title above. It was about the Rich Young Ruler in Mark 10. The man asked Jesus what he should do to inherit eternal life. He had kept all the commandments since he was a boy, but Jesus told him to sell everything he had and give it to the poor and then he would have treasure in heaven. The Bible says the man, “…went away sad because he had great wealth” (Mk 10:22b). What Jesus asked him to do must have seemed crazy – Are you out of your mind, Jesus? But in order to follow Jesus, that had to be his number one priority, not his wealth.

Pastor reminded the congregation that following Jesus is an “out of mind” experience. Sometimes (many times) God prompts us to do things that don’t make sense to us – things that are “expensive, inconvenient and difficult” (Pastor Keith) – things that would cause others to say, “Are you out of your mind?”

This morning I was praying for some friends who need the Lord. I was praying that living a life for Christ would be real and attractive to them. Then it dawned on me. Perhaps, living a life for Christ would be more attractive if they saw more Christians living an “out of mind” kind of life. At first thought we probably think, what on earth is attractive about selling everything you have and giving it to the poor (just as an example – I know God does not call all of us to do this literally).

But what ISN’T intriguing about being so devoted to something that you would give everything that you have, spending your life completely for it? What’s even more attractive is the captivating paradox of God’s economy that when we give everything we have, we receive ultimate freedom, joy, peace, love, fulfillment... I’ve never experienced more fulfillment than in the times I’ve sacrificed and completely spent myself for Jesus. That is what Jesus talks about when he says, “I came that they might have life and have it to the full” (John 10:10b) Or “life, more abundantly” in another translation. Now that’s something worth looking into.

I think this is why the Church thrives under persecution. Living a life for Christ is REAL. It has to be. People won’t risk their lives for the opportunity to sit in church and follow rules. They will give their lives for the ultimate adventure – giving up everything, to gain even more.

I know that we usually aren’t called to do major life changing “are you out of your mind” things every day, but are we surrendered enough in our spirits that we will be ready to when it’s time? And there ARE probably ‘little’ things every day that require “out of your mind” surrender. God prompting us to talk to someone or give something away or sacrificing doing something fun in order to pray or letting our spouse be right (I think for me, that’s the ultimate surrender;))…etc. If we practice in the ‘small’ things, we’ll be ready for the big ones.

I pray my life for Jesus will be REAL enough that others can see it and I desperately need the Holy Spirit’s help for that. That’s all for now, I guess. Blessings to you all.

No comments: